Tuesday, December 9, 2008

One good thing meme, day two

I'm so glad I waited to post my one good thing.  It was a hard day and I was really struggling with what to write... that was until I got a call from my oldest girl, who I miss so much. 

Chelcie turns 16 years old in two days.  I was feeling rather nostalgic, not believing that my little girl is about to be sixteen years old!!  I asked if she wanted to hear about the day we met.... of course she did.  So, I shared all of my memories with her.  

Chelcie was two years old.  She'd been living with her mother, and hadn't been allowed to see her dad in awhile, so we were both excited for this visit.  It started with preparing a room for her, I bought her some posters: a clown and two African American art posters.. I do believe this was the start of her interest in AA history.  I also bought her some pajamas, and a stuffed elephant toy that made the elephant sound.  It was cute - and we still have it, though he has been silent for years.  

After Palmer picked her up from her mom, he brought her to meet me at my apartment (we weren't living together yet.)  She was so sweet, quiet, and shy.  We took her to JC Penney at the mall to buy her a new outfit...  cute little denim overall shorts and a cute floral shirt.  I took her to the dressing room to make sure we got the right size.  

We then went to McDonalds, and I remember her eating a TON of ketchup with her fries.  After that - we went to my parents - and this was the first time she met her grandma.  

Chelcie was amazed by all of these details that I remembered.... and I loved sharing the story with her.  I'll never forget that day... it was the day I became a mom.  

3 comments:

ZebraBelly: said...

Have I ever told you what a beautiful person you are?

*Jess* said...

I've never heard that story :) You are a such an awesome mom to all three of your girls!

Allison said...

You are both so sweet. Thank you very much.