Saturday, December 13, 2008

One good thing meme, day five

Well, I know it is a bit late for my day five... but if I'm still awake - it is still day five, right?

We had our holiday retreat for my job today out at Lake Shawnee - one of my favorite places of all time.  The geese were on the lake - the sun was shining - it was just gorgeous.  I love this place for its peace.  The elements of nature all coming together - the water - the sun - the trees - the animals.  

I spent much of my time enjoying the outdoors with a good friend, a coworker whose last day of work was today.  She is leaving town to go to Michigan to care for her husband's ailing mother.  This is a challenging time for her, a time of loyalty and blessing for the opportunity to care for this mother who needs her so desperately.  But also a time of sadness as she leaves her children and grandchildren behind, and a job which she loves.  I felt blessed to spend some alone time with her in this space and just be with her on this last day, in a location that also holds significant meaning for her, including childhood night-fishing trips with her father, and the wedding of her daughter at the exact location of our retreat.  It felt like life coming full circle for her on this day and I was just blessed to experience it with her.  

No comments: