Monday, October 27, 2008

The story of Mojo

This is Mojo - the new addition to our family.

 

Mojo has a very interesting story about how he joined our family.  We met Mojo on October 1st, though it took a few days for him to have a name.  

I was out in the backyard after work, watching Alaina jump on the trampoline, when I saw this cute little orange kitten in the backyard.  I pointed him out to Alaina and went inside to get Paige. The kitten was scared, and only let Paige get a few feet from him before running and hiding.  At one point she managed to catch him and then screamed at me for help - I ran over and picked him up but had to drop him after he scratched the heck out of me. He was one skinny and scared kitten.  

He was hiding underneath the shed.  Paige spent almost two hours outside with him, talking to him, offering him food and trying to coax him out.  No luck.  So, after getting Alaina to bed, I went outside to smoke and watched for him.  He pranced around the backyard, pawed the ground and purred.  He clearly wanted attention but was scared to get too close.  He'd come under the table where I was sitting, but wouldn't come close enough to let me pet him.  Finally I decided to go inside and just leave the back door open and see what happened.  It took him a few trips up and down the back stairs, and a few moments of laying on the top step right outside the door before he came inside.  

That first night, he was so scared.  He hid, and hissed if we got close to him.  We didn't know what to expect.  I knew he was sweet inside, because of all of his purring and prancing, but was worried about his fear of us.  Paige and I didn't know what to do with him.   We finally caught him by throwing a towel on him and I scooped him up and put him in the bathroom with food, water, and a litter box.  

It was then, that Paige and I stood in the kitchen trying to decide what to do.  Would he get along with Tiger (our 8 yr old cat)?  Would he continue to hiss?  Would he grow to love us?  We thought about letting him back outside, but didn't know what we should do.  It was then, as we were standing in the kitchen, that my foot kicked a piece of paper on the floor.  I leaned over to pick it up and see what it was - and was shocked by my discovery.  

It was an old vet bill, for Tiger.  From 2002!!!  A 6 yr old bill, that I haven't seen since I got the bill somehow managed to find its way to my kitchen floor - which had been cleaned that weekend!  It isn't like my house is a mess with a hodge-podge of stuff laying around everywhere.  
I almost had tears in my eyes when I looked at Paige and told her that this was our sign.  This kitten was to be ours.  He'd found his forever home and we'd love him and take care of him. 


 

2 comments:

CROW Cat Rescue said...

Welcome home, Mojo. I'm so glad you found your way.

earthmama said...

such a sweet, sweet story, mama...

<3