Monday, October 13, 2008

Home Sweet Home

For the first time since I moved into this house - I can now call it a home, a safe haven, a place of peace and joy.

After my husband moved out of the house two weeks ago, I first took ownership of this space by doing a private cleansing and blessing ceremony. I burned sage, said some blessings over my home and banished the negativity. I welcomed in the positivity and haven't looked back.

Another stage of re-claiming this space as mine and all mine was to redecorate. I tolerated the blank walls and white spaces as a way to keep the peace. My life has been void of color for too many years and it was important to me that my home, and the home of my children be filled with color and warmth.

I had two days off from work, making it a 4-day weekend that I could focus solely on beautifying my space. The weekend included some fun shopping trips with Linda, my mom, and Paige to buy decorations and accents. My goal was to add touches to as many rooms as possible while keeping the expense to a minimum. I did great at this goal the first two days - but once I got started - I couldn't stop! I wanted the whole house to be done! So - I went a bit over budget and now have to re-work my finances for the month - but it was worth it.

I now have a warm and inviting living room - with colors of green and burgandy, candles lit, fluffy pillows, and art that I love. I have a dining room table thatis a joy to sit at - and will never again be a collection for mail and other clutter. I have a bedroom that is peaceful and brings me joy. New bedding set, furniture and curtains. This is my sacred place. I have new colors in the bathroom - that make me smile everytime I walk in.

I feel truly blessed for the hours that my best friend and mother gave to me this weekend to make this dream come true for me. There is more to do, but for now, I feel at home. Finally - I can say Home Sweet Home and know that it is true.

No comments: