Wednesday, October 15, 2008

The Presidential Debate

I finally had the opportunity to watch a complete presidential debate, uninterupted. The girls are spending the night with their dad so I had the house to myself.

I used a few choice swear words to describe McCain in my mind and discussions with a friend after the debate, which I'll try to refrain from using here. But there are thre are three primary issues that infuriated me about tonight's debate.

1) I first called Bullshit when McCain announced that Sarah Palin is a role-model to women. Um - thanks but no thanks. Palin is an insult to women and McCain's philosophy that just because she is a woman that all women support her is completely offensive. We are smarter than that.

2) McCain continued to link Palin with autism. Um - her child doesn't have autism - he has downs syndrome. Does McCain not know the difference between special needs? And, to set the record straight - while Palin and McCain may SAY that she is supportive of special needs kids and their families - the fact remains that she has waiting lists on special needs programs in her state - and slashed Alaska's special needs budget by 62% in her first year of office! Yes - that proves that she is supportive of special needs kids right? I guess you just have to say something to make it so.

3) McCain insulted women everywhere by laughing at the concept that a woman's health is not important when it comes to carrying a child. And I quote, McCain said with laughter about Obama with an insult to eloquence "He's health for the mother." He vowed to help women take care of the children they bring into the world. That is the second time I called Bullshit. My poor cat Tiger kept getting woken up by my hollering at the TV. LOL. Here is McCain's quote
"Of course, we have to work together, and, of course, it's vital that we do so and help these young women who are facing such a difficult decision, with a compassion, that we'll help them with the adoptive services, with the courage to bring that child into this world and we'll help take care of it."
Right! Like McCain is promoting programs for young women raising kids in poverty - I think not. There isn't a damn thing he plans to do to help these women take care of their kids - what he wants is for them to hand them over to rich white people to raise. Okay - I better get off this soapbox or I'll never sleep tonight.

Now for Obama, I was impressed with his ability to remain cool and collected. He defended the facts when he found them important and let lots of little issues slide. He didn't waste his time trying to correct every single lie told about him tonight. That will come out in other discussions in the media. But he did a fine job of showing that he is presidential - he was not rattled by McCain and will not be intimidated in any forum as he represents our country.

Go Obama!

1 comment:

corscorp said...

Seriously! I totally agree. We've been ranting and raving so much about what we think of Mccain and his lies and stupidity our poor kids are picking up some interesting new language.