Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Friendship

Friendship has never been easy for me. The friends I have are those that I've had for a long time - and making new ones often scares me. What if they won't like me? What if we don't have enough in common?

Two years ago, a new family moved in next door. They have a little girl just 11 months older than Alaina, and a 5-yr old boy. Cute adorable kids. We didn't see them much, and I soon learned that Anne, the mom, was very sick with Lyme Disease. It has been a hard two years on her and the family. Through this time, we'd occasionally chat outside and always talk about getting together. She offered for me to stop in any time - but I'm no good at just spontaneously knocking on someone's door.

I'm so thankful that on Sunday, I was sitting on the porch when the family came home from an outing. Anne and the kids came over to join me. Alaina and Abby hit it off so quickly and the kids were all in and out of my house and their house while Anne and I sat and talked. We spent over 2 hours together and it was wonderful. She is open and easy to talk to. Although I know we have some spiritual differences, it isn't anything that will get in the way of our friendship - this I can tell.

Tonight, Paige, Alaina and I all went over for a visit. We had a wonderful time and I found out that Anne also had her kids at the birth center where mine were born. We share the same beliefs about natural childbirth - and she mentioned wearing a baby sling with her kids. She is a very gentle parent and so good with her kids. It seems I have found an AP friend - and she is right next door to me!

When we came home, Paige said that Anne is the best person she has ever met - she said - she could be my best friend! That made my heart melt. I was so glad that we all have clicked so well, and I look forward to many years of chats on the porch, walks with the kids and dinners together.

Shortly after coming home, I was upstairs with Alaina getting her ready for bed and Anne came by. She brought me lunch to take to work tomorrow, a chicken pot pie to thaw and fix for dinner some night and a loaf of bread. How sweet is that?

I feel truly blessed to be living so close to this amazing woman and family.