Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Spirituality

I'm reading a fiction novel, based on religious fact. Angels and Demons is the prequel to The Davinci Code. While reading, I found some text that I am particularly drawn to. A comfort of sorts for my own spiritual seeking.

"Mr. Langdon, I did no ask you if you believe what man says about God. I asked if you believed in God. There is a difference. Holy scripture is stories...legends and history of man's quest to understand his own ned for meaning. I am not asking you to pass judgment on literature. I am asking if you belive in God. When you lie out under the stars, do you sense the divine? Do you feel in your gut that you are staring up at the work of God's hand?"

"Religion is like language or dress. We gravitate toward the practices with which we were raised. In the end, though, we are all proclaiming the same thing. That life has meaning. That we are grateful for the power that created us."

"Faith is universal. Our specific methods for understanding it are abitrary. Some of us pray to Jesus, some of us go to Mecca, some of us study subatomic particles. In the end we are all just searching for truth, that which is greater than ourselves."

"Science tells me God must exist. My mind tells me I will never understand God. And my heart tells me I am not meant to."

5 comments:

ZebraBelly: said...

i have not read that one, but there isn't much "fact" in the davinci code - i read a great book caled truth & fiction in the davinci code which i recommend. and i could go on. lol

what you've written has been on my mind a lot, but in a different fashion. i willl get around to blogging it someday. hopefully

earthmama said...

i've read this book and i don't remember these quotes...but i do remember that dan brown has a very inquisitive, but also very humble mind. at least i found a lot of his opinions to be things i could easily relate to.

these are really beautiful quotes...thanks for sharing them, mama. <3

*Jess* said...

I've always wanted to read that book. Very good quotes!

Allison said...

Bons - let me know when you blog it. And good point about the fact stuff. I'll have to probably change that. And can you believe I haven't read the Davinci Code yet?

Jess - I'll send you this book when I'm done.

Marci - is the writing style of his other books similar to this one?

Anne said...

Hey there. I just wanted to say thanks for your call and note on my blog. I hope you could understand my message. I would love for you and the girls to come by.
It is not easy being sick and have trouble with functioning every day stuff. But I truly can say I have seen miracles and love watching the Lord do them in and through our family and people around us.
I have been thinking alot about a verse that gives me hope and peace.... I write these things that you may know you that if you believe in the Lord Jesus Christ you will be saved.....

I love that I can know for sure. Life is full of ups and downs but the one thing that never changes is my Lord....

Talk to you soon....
so glad we have started our proch talks... I am ready for you to decorate my IV pole!!!!