Sunday, July 27, 2008

3 weeks....

We've been on somewhat of a rollercoaster with my Dad.

Just three weeks ago - we were all getting some good news about my Dad's cancer. His PET scan showed that his tumor was shrinking. The chemo had worked - and surgery was scheduled.

How quickly things can change.

My Dad felt a lump in one of his original tumor sites, and some pain along with it. Another PET scan was done - with bad results. The cancer had returned in the site that was previously removed - and the other tumor had grown.

In just three short weeks, we've gone from success to sadness.

I spent some time with my mom yesterday - and I asked her how she was feeling - where her mind was at. Now - my mom is a very strong woman - very rational - often lacking in emotion - but not in a bad way. She is just a very logical thinker. So - to see her cry is hard for me. It is not a common sight.
Her answer to me was that part of her is thinking about what is coming next and planning to go to Houston for surgery. The other part of her is (and this is where her voice choked) thinking about how her life will be without Don.

It made me so sad to hear that - to imagine how hard it will be if we lose my Dad. My parents have a very deep true love. They've been together for 41 years. I can't imagine my mom having to live her life without my Dad. Who will she be if she has to live without him?

These are thoughts I don't want to have. I don't want to imagine this as the result.

Last night my mom and I talked about how to be realistic while at the same time how to have faith that he'll beat this. It is a hard balance to try to find. It is a conversation I believe we'll have many times...

2 comments:

FaerieKissed said...

This really is sad news. I've been thinking about you a lot lately and sending positive energy and strength to you and your family.

earthmama said...

i am so sorry to hear this...i'll be thinking about you.

but talking about death is a conversation that is good to have, even though it is so hard. i'll be praying for all of you...