Monday, July 21, 2008

The poem - the basis of my father's life

Here is the poem I mentioned in my spiritual moment story. Whether you are Christian or not, please consider its meaning. We can only help others by taking action - doing something to make a difference.

Listen Christian
By Bob Rowland
(from a poem in WITNESS magazine
Circa 1972)


Listen Christian,
I was hungry
And you formed a humanities club
And discussed my hunger.
Thank you.

I was imprisoned
And you crept off quietly
To your chapel in the cellar
And prayed for my release.

I was naked,
And in your mind
You debated the morality
Of my appearance.

I was sick
And you knelt and thanked God
For your health.

I was homeless
And you preached to me
Of the spiritual shelter
Of the Love of God.

I was lonely
And you left me alone
to pray for me.

You seem so holy;
So close to God.
But I’m still very hungry,
And lonely, and cold…

1 comment:

Connectional said...

I see this poem on a lot of websites but rarely is the credit given. You are sure it's by Bob Rowland? Just wondering because I want to quote it.